The Smittens will by flying over to the west coast to play at the San Francisco popfest this week– (www.sfpopfest.com) playing at the Rickshaw shop on Saturday, may 23rd! That fest runs from Thursday-Sunday May 21-24 and the tix are available along with all details and lineup and locations at the festival website. Let’s Whisper will be also playing a set during the free Sunday picnic show in the park, too!
We are sad and honored to be playing at what is reported to be Tullycraft’s last ever live show – holy molee! – and excited to finally make good on our promise to come to the West Coast – obviously, one show isn’t going to satisfy all our friends out there, so we promise (again) to make another effort soon to play some more shows out there – all apologies to our pals in Portland and Oly and Seattle and Joshua Tree, and San Diego, and everybody else on that coast. If you can make to the the SF fest, well, that would be awesome – apparently much of the fest is being filmed, so hopefuly you can still feel like you were there at a later date!
In other Smittens and Smittens-related happenings, here are some cool things we’ve been involved in lately:
- Colin, Dana, David, and Holly spent a wildly amusing night in the studio here last week taking part in backing vocal sessions for our friend James Kochalka’s new gameboy music album, Digital Elf! Not sure when that will be coming out, but we had tons of fun with James and a couple of the Jazz Guys, plus a handful of other wonderful singers both tall and small!
We’ll let you know when it’s coming out!
- Max and Colin and Dana had a short visit to London to rock out at the London Popfest at the end of February – delivering an inspired trio performance and being inspired by the other fab acts on the bills! Let’s Whisper even kicked off the whole thing on the first night of the festival and a good time was had by all.
- Dana and Colin had a new Let’s Whisper song come out as part of the latest compilation set from the Eardrums label – and all 4 volumes are available for free download here: www.eardrumspop.com ! The Whisper track, titled “All Happy Endings,” is in very good company with loads of good indiepop from all over the globe. The comp is titled Birdsongs, Beesongs and we recommend it highly. There’s also a Colin solo song on there, “I Miss the Bubblegum,” which is about a time that Colin missed Smittens practice because he was in Portugal with his friend Isaac – a new recording of an old fave.
- Our good friend Steve Williams, who mixed our first two albums and whom you may know as a Magog or even more recently as the bass player for Rough Francis, just completed a new video for his awesome MFDOJ song “Count Me in, I’m Good to Go,” which was filmed by Rob Koier and which also features brief cameos from Colin and David and a handful of our friends here in town! It’s inspired by Goddard’s classic film Breathless and incorporates text from the film and new footage shot in homage to the original – very nice!
- And Colin has a new mini album out on the Weepop! label, too! His latest is titled “Every Little Thing Counts” and features 10 songs in just about 22 minutes with some cute handmade artwork and you can order it here: www.weepop.net – word is it’s selling briskly and could be sold out soon. Alas, the Let’s Whisper ep, “Make Me Smile” is already all gone! So please hurry up if you don’t wanna miss out!
-and this just in - Max and his friend Gillian are also now moving folks on dance floors in the UK! Keep an eye out for dj sets from GMAX! Early reports are in, and yes, the kids do just love it!
Check back here soon for dates and details of our summer adventure plans, too! This year we will be returning to the UK for a short tour (with our friends One Happy Island) which will find the Smittens playing in London, Glasgow, Newcastle, Birmingham, Leeds and making a return trip (this time to the main stage) to the Indietracks festival July 24-26 at the Midland Railway, Butterley, Derbyshire – one of the hottest and nicest summer tickets in the UK this summer. Full line-up, details and a festival blog with links, interviews and mp3s can be found if you start here: www.indietracks.co.uk – it was the highlight of our summer last year – and this time Let’s Whisper will be playing a set on a train, too!